Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voter #249

I yelled at John McCain in my bathroom this morning.

It's okay-- he couldn't hear me. The only ones who could hear me, my cats, just rubbed up against me in a gesture of comfort and sympathy. Or maybe they just wanted to be fed.

On the radio they played a soundbite of McCain repeating his cutesy line about Obama "already measuring the drapes in the White House."

Aside from the fact that Obama has shown no public interest in interior decorating that I know of, Obama has been very clear in his public speeches about not getting ahead of himself. He's still using language like, "If I'm elected...", not "When I'm elected..." like so many other politicians do. At one campaign event, the crowd started to get on him about it, and he replied, "I'm superstitious."

That's one thing that I love about him. Because I'm superstitious too, and it's refreshing to see a politician with the same cautious and humble sense of optimism that I live my life with.

So, Senator McCain, I can assure you he is NOT measuring the drapes, or ordering cable, or filling out change-of-address forms at the post office. He knows that the race isn't over until election day.

So, please, old man who refers to his opponent as "that one", STFU already about the drapes.

------------------

When I fed my ballot into the machine this morning, I was voter #249 in my precinct. Considering I had to stand in line for 45 minutes, that seemed awfully low. This is my third presidential election in Champaign-Urbana, and I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes before. Usually I just walk right up to the table and vote.

It made me 30 minutes late for work. I really think Election Day should be a national holiday. I know long lines and a high turnout are good for Democrats, but think of all the people who can't vote today because of work, especially in precincts where the lines are 3-4 hours long.

I'm stoically optimistic that Obama will stay away from the tape measure until the votes are counted.

No comments: