It's a day dedicated to getting in touch with your inner sloth and not doing any work. In a perfect world every weekend would be like this, but there always seem to be chores and niggling little items that I need to accomplish before I can do fun stuff.
On Slackerday, I don't do any of it. I get out of bed and plop myself down on the couch and let myself be entertained for an entire day. It's the one day of the year when I actually clear out the Netflix DVDs sitting on my TV.
Here's what I did today:
- 9:00 am : Woke up and put on my Slacker t-shirt, the official uniform of Slugfest.
- 9:00 - 8:07: Since we switched from Daylight Savings to standard time at 2:00 am, I changed all the clocks in the house back to 8:00 am. Some people may consider this a chore, thus violating the spirit of Slugfest, but for me synchronizing all the clocks in the house is a fun leisure activity. Besides, it's my holiday and I get to make the rules: Synchronizing clocks is not work.
- 8:00 - 8:30: Ate breakfast and watched last Thursday's episode of The Office on TiVo.
- 8:30 - 9:00: Watched 30 Rock
- 9:00 - 10:15: Watched a Netflix DVD: The God Who Wasn't There.
- 10:15 - 12:00: Ate mid-morning snack and watched Netflix DVD, Click.
- 12:00 - 3:00: Football. Watched Bears game.
- 12:30: Ate lunch-- leftovers from Indian restaurant from night before. (Leftovers are an essential component to Slugfest. All meals should be heated up leftovers.)
- 1:30: Showered during halftime of the game. Traditionally, showers are considered work and discouraged on Pluggathon, but I was feeling pretty gross and really needed to wash the Indian food residue off my greasy face.
- 2:00 - 3:45: While watching football, I organized and cleaned out a bunch of files on my hard drive. This may be another activity that other people would consider "work" but I'm a librarian and organizing stuff is more like play for me.
- 3:45 - 5:45: Watched Netflix DVD, Capote.
- 6:00 - 6:30: Watched Simpsons on TiVo and ate dinner-- Another helping on Indian leftovers followed by an orgasmically good Ghirardelli (or was it Godiva?) carmel dark chocolate bar that I bought just for this occasion.
- 6:30 - 7:30: Watched the last of The Daily Show and Colbert Report from last week (TiVo.)
- 7:30 - 10:00: More NFL football. Watched the Colts game.
Aside from the morning, where I started off the day watching TV and saw two Netflix, it wasn't much different than most Sundays. But I had kind of a crappy antisocial feeling as I went to bed. I realized that I hadn't communicated with another person all day long.
So I guess I can add HermitDay to the list of names for this holiday.